The Irish Film Board have announced the details of the current round of the short film scheme, which was originally launched in May 2016. The deadline for the current round is Friday, June 9th.
Focus Shorts is a short film scheme for the making of live-action, fiction films that act as approving-ground for Irish creative talents aspiring to write, direct and produce films for the cinema.
It aims to encourage strong, original storytelling, visual flair, and production values appropriate to the big screen. It offers an opportunity for producers, directors and writers to work in a professional environment that will bring their experience up to a higher level and can be seen as potential stepping stone for future full-length filmmakers.
Focus Shorts can be up to 10 minutes in length and receive a budget of up to €50K.
Who Can Apply
Applications are invited from producer/director/writer teams (where the producer and director are not the same person) subject to eligibility guidelines as follows:
- Producers — must have previously produced at least one live action short film.
- Directors — must have previously directed at least one live action short film.
- Writers — must have previous writing experience eg. screen, published or online work (links to online work should be provided on their CV).
- Projects submitted twice before unsuccessfully may not reapply.
- Producers, Directors & Writers may apply to make more than one FOCUS SHORTS film but may not receive funding through the scheme more than three times.
- The scheme is not open to full-time students
Download the Focus Shorts Guidelines
Learn More on the IFB Website